[gothic-l] Re: Goths in the East

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Sep 29 12:23:08 UTC 2000

As this slot is entitled 'Goths in the east', I would like to post a
short question. What is the evidence of Gothic settlement on the
eastern shores of the Black Sea, especially the Taman peninsula. I
have explained in another thread that I am trying to establish if a
certain coin series can really be attributed to the Goths at the
Black
 Sea as some Russian scholars think. There are a number of
indications
 that the attribution is correct, however, the find spots are
concentrated on the eastern side of the Crimea, the Taman Peninsula
(east of the Crimea) and even a bid further south as Kazamanova shows
in an artikel in Vestnik Drevnei Istorii. There is little evidence of
the occurence of these coins on the western shores of the Black Sea.
One reason could be that Taman etc is Russian and that archeological
activity may be stronger than in Bulgaria etc. ...

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> For a full argument on the Gothic origin of Rus I would
> like to refer you to Stefan Soederlind, "The realm of the Rus:
> A contribution to the problem of the rise of the East-Slavic
> kingdom", _Scandinavian Language Contacts (eds.
> P. Sture Ureland and Iain Clarkson, London:
> Cambridge University Press, 1984. If you have any
> detailed criticism, please provide it. It may
> be pointed out that of course both Slavs and Swedish
> vikings have contributed to Rus but that it was
> originally created by the Goths of Ermanarik's
> kingdom that remained in what is now Ukraine.
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil Haggman
>
> > It is certainly conceivable that (small parts) of the Goths
remained
> > in South Russia, but to equate the Rus with the Goths is far
fetched.
> > For one thing the Slavs would probably not have referred to the
Goths
> > as the 'Red-Blonde People', because, at least prior to the mongol
> > tatar yoke the Slavs were just as blonde as the Goths may have
been.
> > I found the  following site about the Rus
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/9253/rus.html
> >
> > The author argues that the Rus were in fact a slavic tribe,
however,
> > find the evidence for a Swedish-Viking origin of the Rus somewhat
> > more
> > compelling.

 DIRK

Dial 1-800-555-TELL -- You Won't Believe Your Ears!
For more details, click here: