[gothic-l] The Scandinavian Origin of the Vandals

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sat Sep 30 07:04:24 UTC 2000

My apologies to the listowner for coming
back once again to the Vandal question,
but there are a few outstanding problems

Almost every scholar of the first half of the 20th
century agreed that there were similarities between
Norther Jutland (Vendsyssel) and the Przeworsk culture.
Modern Danish research has shown similarities between
the so called 'Kraghede group' of Vendsyssel. There
are striking similarities between the late pre-Roman pottery
of Vendsyssel (Vendila), especially from Kraghede, and that
of Silesia. Of cours there are other interpretations.

On the linguistic side it can be argued that there is some
iimportance in the argument that the northernmost tip
of Jutland, Skagen (Skaw) has a connection to the
Gothic word for 'twig' (vandus) or Old Norse vondr.

Private answers are welcome on the question of Vandalic
origin. My e-mail address is mvk575b at tninet.se.

Vandalically

Bertil Haggman

> thanks for the comment. I find the linguistic evidence for a North
> Jutland origin of the Vandals not convincing, many places can
> problably be identified with a Vend or Vand component. Also, I think
> that some scholars believe that the name Vandals was adopted somewhat
> later after the Vandals had emerged from Celtic Lugian domination in
> Silesia, but  I am not certain about that.

Get free updates on your stocks from any phone with Tellme!
Click here and you can even personalize these quotes.