[gothic-l] The Scandinavian Origin of the Goths

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sat Sep 30 07:56:24 UTC 2000

Gendler,

The Vandals were Arians like the Goths, so
they would certainly not have hesitated in
using Wulfila's bible. In the only book I know
of that treats the Vandalic language, _Die
Wandalische Sprachreste_ the author agrees:

"Wenn es auch durchaus wahrscheinlich is,
dass die Wandalen die Bibel in ulfilanischer
Gestalt gebraucht haben, so ist damit noch nicht
festgestellt, inwieweit dieselbe sprachlich
wandalisiert war..."

The Vandals were arianised at the latest
in Spain before 429 AD.

Gothically

Bertil

>    I have to agree with Bertil that Der Spiegel should not be considered a
> reliable source. While my German is still a bit sketchy, I have been in the
> magazine business for eight years. To refer someone to Der Spiegel is sort
> of like (only slightly better than) refering someone to a Time or Newsweek
> article. I am very interested in the development of all the German peoples,
> and unlike Bertil, I believe a sidetrack into the origins of some other East
> Germanic peoples may help us shed some light on the question of Gothic
> origins. The Vandals apparently used the Gothic translation of the Bible so
> their languages must have been very close. We cannot study any group in
> isolation. I would like to encourage you to follow up on the references
> given and investigate further. Tell us what you find.

Get a NextCard Visa with rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR!
1.  Fill in the brief application
2.  Get approval decisions in 30 seconds!