[gothic-l] Re: What happened with the Vandalic Kingdom?

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Apr 3 12:02:35 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> The information underneath is not correct.

Well, the information is correct. The Vandal period in Tunesia, is in
general a period of neglect of public Roman buildings. The text
provided under the following link describes the decline quite nicely:

http://www.warhorsesim.com/papers/VandalCarthage.htm

> Am here only discussing the Vandal period concerning
> Carthage, the capital of the kingdom.
>
> Ancient Carthage had two harbours, a rectangular
> commercial harbour and a circular militar harbour.
> It seems the circular harbour was somewhat neglected
> during Vandal rule.

In fact, the harbour fell into complete disrepair.

 This seems odd as the Vandals
> had one of the strongest naval forces in the western
> Mediterranean.

Yes, but that was probably still nothing compared to the Punic and
Roman fleets that these harbours were once build for.

> There seems to be some neglect of streets and sewer
> systems too during the Vandal period. The grand Via
> Caelestis was demolished under Geiseric but it was
> already neglected during the Roman period. The aqueducts
> seem to have been functioning and the Amphitheater was
> in use by the Vandals. Chariot racing seems to have been
> going on and the famous educational establishments
> seem to have functioned too from 439 to 533 AD.
>
> An important find is the House of the Greek Charioteers,
> where several Vandal mosaics have been found. Procopius
> mentions public baths being built under King Thrasamund
> (496-523) and King Hildric (523-530) had a royal audience
> chamber built.

yes, that is all mentioned in the text that I provided under the
above link.

> I only wanted to mention these examples to show that
> there was substantial activity during the Vandal period
> in Carthage, but also signs of neglect.

There was no substantial building activity under the Vandals in
Tunesia at all, especially if compared to the Punic and Roman periods
before the Vandals and the Byznatine period following the Vandals. In
fact if you visit Carthage today, you would be hard pressed to find
anything  that was build in the Vandal period.

cheers
Dirk

http://us.click.yahoo.com/03IJGA/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/wpHWlB/TM