[gothic-l] Visigothic Shipping

Ian Harris ian.harris at EDS.COM
Wed Apr 4 16:48:18 UTC 2001

Hi,
   Given the recent discussion about Vandalic shipping, I wondered if
anyone could point me to any sources/books (preferably in English)
which cover the history of Visigothic navies during the period before
the Arab conquest.

I seem to remember references to an unexplained naval battle which a
Gothic noble won against a Byzantine fleet off the coast of Spain
during the reign of Wittiza & naval operations are mentioned in the
sources covering Paul's rebellion against Wamba (Julian of Toledo I
think). Does anyone know of other instances? And do we know what sort
of ships the Visigoths used?

On a related point - where did the Arab invaders obtain the shipping
to cross the Straits of Gibralter?

Ian Harris

http://us.click.yahoo.com/03IJGA/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/wpHWlB/TM