[gothic-l] Adam van Duren, Scanian runes-Skånska runor

hakan36 at SPRAY.SE hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Mon Apr 9 00:50:23 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., hakan36 at s... wrote:

Adam van Duren who worked in Denmark and Sweden in 1490-1530 and
rebuilt of the Linköping dome. He rebuilt among other things the
crypt and designed and cut bishop Birger Gunnersen´s sarcophagus. On
the top you can see his signature ADAM with big letters. On the top
left there are some runes who look scanian-danish medieval. These
might reflect a nationalistic interest in runes in the 16th and 17th
c. The runes doesn´t seem to have a meaning, but if I find another
interpretation, I will come back to them.

> Since we are talking about the dome in Lund, we might as well
discuss
> scanian runes. As late as the 13th c the runes were used in Skåne.
> In this site you can also and listen to the oldest written down
> musicnotes in the nordic countries.
>
> http://www.hum.ku.dk/ami/am28.html

In the runic message only "g" and "ä" was written with runes. The old
women who couldn´t remember the right latin ones, instead took to the
letters that she knew best, the runes. The message is: AAD GÄT 1900,
which means Anna Andersdotter "goated", that will say goatherded.
Probably one of the last runes written in an UNBROKEN tradition since
the iron-age. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

> The last rune in the world was probably written by an old goatherd-
>ing women from Älvdalen, Dalarna, Sweden around 1900.
I will probably come back to the other inscriptions later.

The Älvdalsmål also has w-sound and mute or eluded h. One exemple you
may find in the songtitles far down 'tungelest´n', which means  "the
moonphase-horse". That word is only known from another language, the
gothic one. It is known as 'tuggl'. Fascinating isn´t it?

http://www.amigo.se/amcd_742eng.htm

> http://oden.klippan.se/elevarbete/nv94daal/NetIt23/20697x.htm

Håkan Liljeberg