[gothic-l] Erulic and Gothic Naval Warfare in the Black Sea

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Tue Apr 10 12:35:26 UTC 2001

Tim's interpretation of Wolfram is wrong. The question of
"Sarmatian" naval support concerns the sea expeditions of 255 and
256 AD, where Zosimus, Historia nea, I 31 ff., names the Boranoi
as attackers of Asia minor, based on the ships of the Bosporan
realm in the Crimea (see Wolfram, Die Goten, 3rd ed., p.58 f.). The
Boranoi usually are considered as Sarmatians. The ships they
used were not built by them, they used the fleet of the Bosporan
realm. The case of the Gothic/Herulian attack in 268/69 AD is
different. It started from the Maeotis and the mouth of the Dnjestr
and Zosimus, I 42, expressly tells us that then ships were built by
the invaders (see Wolfram, Die Goten, 62-64).
For further information see:

Andreas Schwarcz, Die gotischen Seezüge des 3. Jahrhunderts.
In: Die Schwarzmeerküste in der Spätantike und im frühen
Mittelalter, ed.Renate Pillinger, Andreas pülz und Hermann
Vetters. Schriften der Balkankommission der Österreichischen
Akademie der Wissenschaften Antiquarische Abteilung 18. Wien
1992, pp.47-57

Maciej Salamon, The Chronology of Gothic Incursions into Asia
minor in the IIIrd century AD. In: Eos 59 (1971) pp.109-139

And, forigive my bluntness, Bertil, your connection between
Austrian gothicism (a phenomenon of the fifteenth and sixteenth
century in the court historiography of the emperors Frederick III,
Maximilian I and Ferdinand I) and Herwig Wolfram as a modern and
internationally renowned historian) is sheer nonsense.

Kind regards
         Andreas Schwarcz
Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich