[gothic-l] Goeter, goter, gutar

bertil mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Tue Apr 10 13:11:10 UTC 2001

On the Germanic L has been introduced some recent
discussion on the net concerning the Goths. The summary underneath of an article by Thorsten Andersson in 1996 have been put on the Gotic L by me earlier, but as there may
bes ome additional subsribers since I am doing again
as an info:

"The tribal designation OSw goetar (OWScand gautar) is closely related to the designations Goth gutans *Goths' and OSw gutar 'Gotlanders', which formally correspond to each other. The first of these word is an a-stem, PrGmc *gautoz, while the other two are an-stems, PrGmc *gutaniz.

As the present author has attempted to show in an earlier essay both *gautoz and *gutaniz are probably nomina agentis
based on different ablaut grades of the verb Sw gjuta, Germ giessen 'to pour', in the sense of 'to pour semen', both
of them thus meaning 'men, people'.

(To be continued)

Gothically

Bertil