[gothic-l] Erulic and Gothic Naval Warfare in the Black Sea

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Wed Apr 11 12:30:02 UTC 2001

andreas.schwarcz at univie.ac.at wrote:

> Hi Tim,
> I am glad you clarified your position, which really does not differ
> from mine or Wolfram's. If anyone built ships, it seems to have
> been the Heruls 268/269 AD, but Zosimus just states the fact and
> what kinds or types of ships they built remains pure guesswork.

Agreed, though this does mean that the possibility that the
Goths and Heruli built 'Germanic'-style ships remains open.
Short of someone finding the remains of such a ship, it's
hard to see how this could be anything other than a
conjecture though.

You mentioned Zosimus I 42 and said he explicitly mentions
that the raiders built their own ships - could you expand on
this?  Any idea where this ship-building took place or any
indication that local ship-wrights were used in this
activity?
Cheers,

Tim O'Neill