[gothic-l] Re: Ostrogothic Italy

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Thu Apr 12 01:22:17 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Frank Verhoft" <frank.verhoft at p...> wrote:
> Dear everybody
>
> Today, I came across a copy of Amory's +ACI-People and Identity in
Ostrogothic Italy, 489-554+ACI- (Cambridge, 1997). Since I am only a
very interested layman, lurking and learning, and since I find myself
in the very luxurious position of being surrounded by experts, I hope
that some professional Goths in this list can give their
opinions/comments/critiques on this book, or, though I could not find
any, to any previous mails in the Gothic-L archives dealing Amory's
work.

There's a copy of it in my local history bookshop, which I have been
eyeing with a view to buying it for a few months now.  It is very
expensive though - about $140 Australian, which is roughly $280 US -
so I keep finding other things I need to buy first.  It certainly
seems a weighty and scholarly tome though and the reviews I've read of
it have been excellent.  Perhaps you could post a review when you've
finished it Frank - that way I may be able to justify the expense
to myself (though I rarely need an excuse to buy good books).
Cheers,

Tim O'Neill