[gothic-l] Re: Gothology

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Thu Apr 12 23:01:59 UTC 2001

czobor at cantacuzino.ro wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at y..., "Tim O'Neill" <scatha at b...> wrote:
>

> > The rich horse warrior grave from Aphida has been variously
> > identified as Gothic or Gepidic.  It includes some fine saddle
> mounts
> > in the shape of eagles and various other rich trappings.  I found
> > some pictures of the Aphida finds and reconstructions of the saddle
> > and horse harness from the grave on the web a few months ago, so
> I'll
> > see if I can dig out the URL.
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Tim O'Neill
>
> Not "Aphida", but "Apahida". Since this village is in Transylvania,
> the grave is rather Gepidic than Gothic, because the presence of
> Gepids in Transylvania was more pregnant and left more vestiges than
> the Goths.
> But I have to look in my books, in order to not to write only from my
> memory.

Thanks for the correction - youcan probably tell *I* was
posting from memory. ;>

Armed with the correct spelling, I was able to find this
image of the Apahida eagles, though not the horse harness
reconstructions I was thinking of:

http://www.mnir.ro/exp/tezaur/vestigii/vest_uk.html

Cheers,

Tim O'Neill