[gothic-l] Ostrogothic or Visigothic Music

kaoru666 at HOTMAIL.COM kaoru666 at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 13 01:27:29 UTC 2001

Heils!
Another doubt is now clouding my mind; the question now is about
music.
I know that in their early times the goths used lyres, and abviously
nothing can be found or reconstructed from that period. But I guess
it must be something lest from the ostrogothic and visigothic
kingdoms, or at least from the visigothic one; I've heard the
visigoths wrote their music using the "visigothic neumes"; I can't
confirm that since it is very scarce information on that matters; but
I deduce that something must have survived. Also, in the surviving
visigothic churches (both arian and catholic) there is always an
elevated space for the chorus.

What was that music like?
what instruments apart from the voice they used? -Various sources
affirm that visigoths produced and imported much of the organs that
Bizantium utilized in the VI century-

At least I want to know if there is any music preserved from that
period that is played today.

Thanks for taking the time.
Alberto