[gothic-l] Visigothic, bavarian or frankic poetry?

hakan36 at SPRAY.SE hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Tue Apr 17 01:38:04 UTC 2001

Hi listmemebers!
I just happen to have to a record with faroese ballad-dancing. It´s
called "Kvad-dans från Färöarna". This special song "Regin smidur",
it´s about the dwarf Regin and his try to betray Sigmundur, in german
tradition called Sigfrid. But basicly the song it´s about this young
Völsunga-heir, and his try to defeat the sons of Hunding. And after
many battles he is hoping to get the gold and his women Hjördis. What
I have heard is that the song is about the war between Gibica, the
burgundic king(here he is called Giur otherwise Giuki)against the
huns and their allies the ostrogoths. My thought is that "Hunding´s
synir", means the dog-like´s sons. A nickname for the huns, playing
on the huns name´s similarity to a dog. Involved is also the "ormur"
dragon or wyrm Fafnir, as it may be called in Old English, garding
the gold.
The beginning goes like this:

Viljid teir nu hoyra á
medan eg man kväde
um teir riku kongarnar
sum eg vill nu umröda
Refr:
Grani bar gullid av heidi
brá henn sinum brandi av reidi
Sjúrdur vá av orminum
Grani bar gullid av heidi.

Will you now hear on
while I may sing ballad
about the rich kings which
I will now tell
Refr:
Grani carried the gold off the heath
brought then hi´s *brand-new sword in wrath
Sigurd won over the wyrm
Grani carried the gold off the heath.

Sigmund so nevni eg
tann Völsungason
tad var hin unga Hjördis
kona hans var hon.

Sigmund so I mention
the Völsung-son
*here(that)was the young Hjördis
hi´s wife was she.
Refr....

*Brandi is just a nick-name for sword.
I chose 'here' instead of 'that', beause of the head-rhyme.

I will be back with more later.
See you later!

Håkan Liljeberg

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ppl8ZC/TFaCAA/qvCFAA/1rrVlB/TM