[gothic-l] Gothic influence on Baltic Prussians

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Apr 24 08:51:18 UTC 2001

We had a short discussion about a possible Gothic influence on the
later Prussians (Prussen, a Baltic people) before. However, I have now
received some Russian material about the recently rediscovered Prussia
Collection in Kaliningrad/Koenigsberg, which contained among others
early Prussian and Gothic artefacts and the text suggests a certain
continuity between the Vistula Gothic Willenberg/Wielbark culture, the
so called Masovia- Germanic culture of the 6th/7th century and the
early Prussian culture. Interestingly, Wolfram suggests in his book
'The Goths', that parts of the Baltic Galindi joined the Goths, which
is also attested by Gothic personal names like Galindai.

The Galindi were a Prussian subtribe like the Samen (not to be
confused with the Scandinavian Saami) and Kuren. The Galindi settled
in the Masovia (Masuren) region were also Willenberg/Wilbark is
situated and which may provide the link between the Gothic and the
Prussian culture. From the 12th century the Prussians were absorbed
into a population of German settlers, but the name Galinden remained
in use until the 18th century.

cheers
Dirk

For the Masovia-Germanic culture see:
V. I. Kulakov, "Mogil'niki zapadnoi chasti Mazurskogo poozer'ia
konca  V-nachala VIII vv. " _Barbaricum_ 1 (1989),148-276;

            -- "Gräber pruzzischer Stammesführer aus Warnikam,"
Eurasia Antiqua_ 3 (1990), 595-628].

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ppl8ZC/TFaCAA/qvCFAA/1rrVlB/TM