[gothic-l] Re: Goths and Bavaria

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Aug 2 06:58:21 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> Hello Dirk!
> Yes, I was also impressed by Cory's detailed historic knowledge of
> Bavaria. Her post was so solid that I felt there was nothing I could
add.

Hi Keth,

her? I think Cory is a male name!

> It is odd with really good posts, that they frequently do not get
answered,
> because they seem so comlete that nobody has anything to add.
>
> Cory also referred to Brockhaus. However, when I went to look there,
> I found nothing, except the standard dictionary entries that
Bavarian
> history begins in the sixth century with the "Einmarsch der
Bajuwaren"
> who are supposed to have come from Bohemia. (any connection with
> the Boii?)  And then also a mention of Agilwulf and the
"Agilolfingen"
> dynasty.

The following web-site gives a really good overview of Bajuvarian
archaeology.

http://www.bingo-ev.de/~ks451/archaeol/baiuw-01.htm

Of course, the name Bohemia is derived from the Celtic Boii, who were
driven out/surplanted/integrated by the Suevian Marcomanni and Quadi
in the first century AD.

> However when I looked under "Bairisch" (writen with "i", whereas
Bayern
> is written with "y" - any one know why?), the Brockhaus referred to
> "deutsche mundarten" and under that topos I found an interesting map
> of the Germanic dialects. And there I found something that surprised
> me; for it became clear that linguists refer to the language spoken
in
> Tirol *also as bairisch ! ! !  Now why didn't that come up on the
list
> as we discussed this before? I even specifically mentioned Süd
Tirol,
> with Bozen and the Brenner. Now if all that is *also Bairisch
(linguist-
> ically speaking), then that changes things quite a bit. No wonder I
> found I could understand Bairisch when I visited there some years
ago,
> after having spent many months in Tirol.
>
> You see, what I thought until now, was that Bairisch referred
strictly to
> the dialect spoken within the present borders of the Teilstaat
Bayern.
> But if the dialect spoken in Tirol (Innsbruck!) is also bairisch,
> then that changes things quite a bit from my point of view.

Yes, in historical and linguistic terms Bavaria covers a large area
from Northern Italy in the south to Franconia in the North, with
Alamannic languages (Swiss German and Suevian) in the West (+
Raeto-Romanic) and Slavic languages in the east.

> However, what the map *also says (o, erstaunen, erstaunen) is that
> Vienna is *also in the "bairischen mundarten" area. Now, that is
> beginning to sound a bit odd to me. For if there is something that
> is certain, then it is that the "Wienersprache" has a very distinct
> note to it, that distinguishes it from other Austrian dialects.
> And especially "bairisch". More likely is perhaps the attribution
> of Steiermärkisch to bairisch, but even that is a long distance
> from Tirol, and clearly distinguishable, even to my ear. (or maybe
> especially to my ear)

That is right, but Swiss German is also very distinctive from
Schwaebisch/Suevian, or Alsacian. Yet, they are all Alamannic
languages.

> What should also be discussed when Bayern is discussed, is that its
> present area perhaps only gives a very approximate indication of
> its area in the 6th century.

Very true. Present day Bavaria includes also non-Bavarian dialects,
such as Alamannic dialects in the west of Bavaria and Frankish in the
North of Bavaria.

cheers,

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!