[gothic-l] Amali insignia

sunburst sunburst at JETSTREAM.NET
Fri Aug 3 02:57:48 UTC 2001

Hails Bertil!

>One could speculate in the Gothic insignia (you seem
>to have documented their mentioning well) not being of Germanic
>origin, maybe Sassinid origin, as you point out.

That would appear to be so.  Still, it seemed to have an importance to the
Amali kings after Ermanaric.

>In the Swedish translation of _Getica_ two different
>translations in 246 and 278 are used. Once "mark of
>distinction" (utmaerkelsetecken) and once insignia
>(insignier). But that don't carry much siginificance
>compared to the latin original.  Insignia are of course mainly today
>preserved within the church (for bishops and archbishops)
>but crown, spire, and apple are also still royal insignia.
>There are a number of Visigothic crowns, but they
>are used for church decoration.

Right, so some of these references to insignia may not be to a particular
symbol, but to some piece of regalia such as a diadem or crown.

>Good luck, though, in your search. Please keep the list
>informed if you find anything.

Thank you, and if I find anything, I will let you know.

Albareiks

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM