[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Bavarians and Heruls

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Fri Aug 3 21:24:10 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk

I remember you last year joined a discussion, where an Austrian
webbsite with Fara was mentioned, but following your policy regarding
Jordanes, Paulus Diaconus and the Norse "literature", how about proof
and sources regarding the geneology below?

Is it easy to separate archaeological finds from Bavarians and
Alamanni?

Troels

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:

> Hi Cory and Keth,
>
> I suppose one aspect that reflects the ethnic and historic
influences
> on the Bajuvarii quite well is the geneology of the Bavarian ducal
> house, the Agilofings.
>
> The first duke of all Bavaria is Garibald I. His family tree looks
> something like this:
>

> Roduulf King of the Heruls, son-in-arms of Theoderic
>
> son:
> Fara, Herulic Prince, and Bavarian duke, died 535AD
>
> first son of Fara:
> 1. Sinduald, Herulic Prince, died 565 AD
> son of Sinduald: TASSILO I, Duke of Bavaria
>
> second son of Fara:
> 2. GARIBALD, Bavarian duke
> married Wulderade, Langobardic Princess
>
> children of Garibald:
> 1. Theudeline (married Authari and later Agiulf, Langobardic Kings)
> 2. Gundoald (Langobardic Duke of Asti, and father of Aripert I)
>

> There is also another Bavarian duke with the name Fara who died in
> 641AD. His father was Chrodoald, a Langobardic duke and his son was
> Theodo II, duke of Bavaria.
>

> According to this geneology, the Bavarian ducal house of the
> Agilofings is an extention of the Herulic royal house and the
> Langobardic royal house. Apart from demonstrating the complicated
> dynastic relationships, it also seems to show the fate of (at least
> part) of the royal house of the Heruls.
>

> cheers,
>
> Dirk

Small business owners...