[gothic-l] Re: Amali insignia

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Aug 6 11:14:44 UTC 2001

Hi Keth and the others,

there is a depiction of a noble Roman women (believed to be
Amalasuentha, but not certain) wearing this Phrygian Cap. I can
positively say that there are no coins of any Ostrogothic ruler
showing that type of head-gear. I remember that as a sign of royalty,
an Ostrogothic king wore his hair unparted, but I am not sure about
the exact source!

The depiction of Theoderic on the gold medallion shows him holding a
globe with the Roman goddess victory on top. Otherwise, his atire is
that of a noble Roman. There is no depiction of Amalasuentha on any
coin. Not even here name appears on a coin. There is also no portrait
of Athalaricus. Theodahat  was the first and only Ostrogothic rule to
show his real, life-like portray on a coin. On these coins he is
wearing what some people called a Spangenhelm, others despribed it as
crown of Italy. He wears a large cross around his neck. Theodahatus is
depicted as a slightly fat man, with neck-long hair and a moustache.
The reverse is again the Roman Victory.

On coins of Baduila, the king is presented in frontal view. The
portrait is highly stylised, but a moustache is discernable on better
specimines. Baduila also wears the 'Spangenhelm' (i.e. crown of
Italy). None of the Ostrogothic coins show an Amal insignum of any
type. However, as I said earlier, the Theodric monogramme seemed to
have been used in that way on coins, artwork and documents.

cheers,
Dirk

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!