[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Bavarians and Heruls

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Aug 6 14:34:54 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Troels Brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:

> Is it easy to separate archaeological finds from Bavarians and
> Alamanni?
>
> Troels

Hi Troels,

this last question of yours had escaped my attention. I am no expert,
but there is nothing inherently Bavarian or Alamannic in the grave
goods. There are however, local variantions in fibula styles,
pottery-shapes etc. which are associated with the one or the other
group or sub-groups. Especially for the Bavarians who grew together
from many different tribes and ethnic groups it is naturally difficult
to inditfy anything typical Bavarian.

I have mentioned the Phalheim horse warriors in Bavaria many times
before. These people were dressed and equipped in exclusively East
Germanic/Byzantine/Italian fashion and for a long time they had
even been identified as Herul mercenaries. However, the archaeologist
Wilfried Menghin re-interpreted them as Alamanns.  As you know, a few
fibulae cannot be used to identify ethnic shifts as trade and commerce
will have dispersed local styles swiftly.

cheers,

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM