[gothic-l] Re: The Eruli after Defeat by Lombards

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Thu Aug 9 00:59:32 UTC 2001

Hi Bertil

We agree in most of this and the rest we have discussed eagerly
before under the title Eruli in Blekinge.

I still do not agree, that the Heruls of Procopius settled in
Blekinge, but since then I have realised, that a group of Heruls
probably followed the Oder from their kingdom in Moravia in the 5th
century. This group settled in Scania and Blekinge (a.e. your
Listerland and Soesdala), and maybe these were the Heruls, who were
expelled by the Danes - not in the 3rd, but in the 5th century before
Jordanes/Cassiodorus wrote their history - when they ravaged their
surroundings. The archaeological changes at Oeland and Bornholm
opposite the mouth of the Oder might be connected to these events.

Therefore the Herulian royal family knew exactly what they did, when
they left Pannonia for Scandinavia and passed the Danes peacefully
They probably promised to settle at the other side of the Gautoi as
a "stabilizing" element against the Svear. In this case they were
probably a Gothic tribe, and therefore Procopius stressed that they
settled as neighbours to the Gautoi - which was the only new
information Procopius had about Thule from Suartues or other Heruls.
The rest he knew from earlier writers. Some signs might indicate that
some of the Heruls still had a religion like the old Gothic described
by Jordanes, and it was therefore natural for them to look for more
familiar surroundings at the Gautois when they were defeated by the
Christian Germanic tribes in Southern Europe.

In this way you can get your Eruli in Blekinge, and I can get my
Heruls - or should I say Eriler - in Uppsala/Vendel.

Troels

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM