[gothic-l] Re: Gothic and Old Bavarian

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Thu Aug 9 15:00:08 UTC 2001

Hi Keth,

My impression is that "Ferderuchus" is in fact a corruption of
"Frederic(h)us", but maybe I'm wrong...
Regarding the presumable consonant shift reflected in the "ch" of
"Ferderuchus", my opinion is that this is not necessarily a witness of
a High German-type second consonant shift.
The shift k > ch can be found also in Gothic proper names quoted by
Iordanes: Alarichus (beside Alaricus), Eurichus; but the second
consonant shift means not only k>ch, but also p>pf/ff, t>tz/ss, d>t,
b>p, þ,ð>d etc. Thus, the k>ch in Ferderuchus, Alarichus, Eurichus
etc. could mean only a weakening of k in final position, that appears
also in other non-High German Germanic languages, like the modern
Scandinavian languages (including modern Icelandic), where final k > g
(a fricative sound).
It is noteworthy to mention in this context that also the Crimean
Gothic language exhibits a shift k>ch, that doesn't necessarily mean
the second consonant shift:
Wulfilan mekeis > Crimean mycha "sword"
Wulfilan ik > Crimean ich "I".
But no trace of p>pf/ff and t>tz/ss in Crimean Gothic.
My conclusion is thus that not every k>ch is necessarily a proof of
the second consonant shift.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> Hi Francisc.
> You wrote:
>
> >Because the Ostrogothic language of Italy was NOT affected by the
> >second (High German) consonant shift. In fact, this is one of the
> >criteria for deciding if an Italian word of Germanic origin comes
from
> >Ostrogothic or from Langobardic: if it shows the second consonant
> >shift, than it's Langobardic, and if not, than it's Ostrogothic
(cf.
> >Carlo Tagliavini - "Le Origine delle lingue neolatine" (Ed. VI),
> >Bologna, 1972).
>
> I am currently looking at the little Latin booklet "Vita Severini".
> In it occurs the PN "Ferderuchus"., which I read as Ferd + ruch.
> {"ferd" might relate to the althochdeutsch verb "faran", which is
> the same as neuhochdeutsch "fahren".  I am less sure about the
> meaning of "ruch"*).}
>
> My question here concerns the "ch" in "ruch".
> Compare with the two forms:
> Dutch: Frederik.    (2nd sound shift has not taken effect)
> Deutsch: Friedrich.  (2nd soundshift has taken effect)
>
> Evidently, the 2nd soundshift causes k --> ch.
>
> The question then is whether "Ferderuch" can also be seen as a
> PN that has undergone the 2nd sound shift ?
>
> Ferderuch was the brother of the Rugian king Feva.
>
> Another example of k --> ch is in Getica § 190, where the
> Visigothic king "Friderichum" is mentioned. Pesumably, that
> could also witness of the soundshift having already taken
> place in Italy before 551.
>
> An interesting question is wether the Herulic language
> had possibly also gone through the second sound shift.
> If it had, the hypothetical "returning Heruls" would
> have "brought home" sound-shifted language, which would
> no doubt have affected the spellings they used in their
> hypothetical runic inscriptions.
>

> Best regards
> Keth

>   *) Can "ruch" be a version of "rug-" as in "Rugi"?

The Nissan Sentra
Everything but compact
http://NissanDriven.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3vsIKC/txlCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM