[gothic-l] Re: Gothic and Old Bavarian

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Fri Aug 10 07:02:51 UTC 2001

Hi Keth and Dirk,

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
>  Yes, I was looking for examples of such things occurring in PN's
> > but all I found thus far was k --> ch.
> > Diederik (Dirk) is also funny, since it exhibits Th --> D,
> > but it isn't High German, but rather a typical Low German
> > name . (The early counts of Holland and Zeeland)

Indeed, Low German did not underwent the second consonant shift, but
it has the shift þ, ð > d, like in High German (e.g. Dutch duizent
"thousand", der, die "the", zuid "south", Nederland "Netherlands"
etc.)

> Hi Keth,
>
> I disagree, Diederik (Dirk) is not at all funny... just kidding:)
You
> are of course right, Dirk and Diederik are Low German forms of
> Dietrich, Thietrich, and ultimately Theoderic. A Rhenish form of the
> name has cut off the '-ric' and developed into the form Thilo!

Other forms of Theoderic are: Thierry (French), Derrick (English)

Francisc

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM