Ostrogoths[gothic-l] The old Border between Norway and Sweden.

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Sun Aug 12 11:59:12 UTC 2001

Beril Haggman wrote:

>Well, the Lehmann interpretation certainly sounds unusual and he seems not to offer any argument in support of his interpretation. The explanation of Professor Andersson seems more based on reason taking into account the fact that the Gautoi lived so to say from coast to coast. Nordin seems also to favour the interpretation Ostrogothae = Oestgoetar.

>It is also of interest that Jordanes mentioed the Finni in the same sentence (although the Finni of _Getica_ might very well have been the Sami). Also I think
this sudden mention of the Finni ought to make for a more careful interpretation of such elements as the sequence of the names have a meaning. After all Jordanes was an Early Medieval monk many centuries removed from for instance Cicero.