[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls

Einar Birgisson einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 3 16:36:47 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "Troels Brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:
> > --- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> > > --- In gothic-l at y..., "Troels Brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:

       Einar; Hæ Dirk

  I see that you post this letter to Troels.

So I was not going to come with any comments. But I changed my mind
because you do mention here my opinion on Procop. writings.
I will make just a few comments and come with a few questions.

> Hi
> However, concerning Procopius I would say that he was trying to
> manipulate in the sense that he wanted his readers to see
barbarians
> in general and the Heruls in particular in a certain light.
>
> Yet, it must be clear that Procopius had a very low opinion of the
> Germanic people in general. He frequently called them treacherous
and
> drunkards. Thus, about the Heruls, Procopius said that it is
> 'remarable for them to be not treacherous or drunken'. He also
comes
> up with all kind of customs for the Heruls, arguing that they kill
the
> sick people, by calling upon a stranger to kill them by tying them
> to trees and burning them alive. Also, he stated that they killed
> their old people. Some writers even argued that this reflected
> Scandinavian practices thus underlying their ties with Scandinavia.

  Einar; I find this interesting.

 Because old legends in Iceland(which I read as a kid and found
horrible) say that in Iceland in pagan times(about 870-1000) then old
and sick people were killed by throwing them down cliffs.

I think this was done especially when there were hard times(lack of
food).
I still remember the picture showing a man throwing a old man or
woman down a cliff.
Killing the old and sick seems to have been widely practiced in
Iceland in pagan times.

> However, at the same time the same authors make no mention of
another
> 'customs' of the Heruls that Procopius informs us about. Thus,
> Procopius tells us that even after becoming Christians the "Heruls
> continued to mate with donkeys" and remained the most disgusting
kind
> of creature.
>
> How should we treat this information Troels? Was this also
provided
> by Scandinavian traders or Scandinavian Heruls visiting their
brethren
> in the South, as Bertil wrote?
>
> Procopius saw all Germanic people as treacherous drunkards, but the
> Heruls were in his eyes the worst scum around. Calling them
sodomists
> placed them on the same level as animals and this is exactly how
> Procopius wanted to present them.
>
> You ask me several times: why would Procopius lie? Einar said
> repeatedly that Procopius was trustworthy and reliable and Tore
said
> that we should simply believe what Procopius wrote.

     Einar; I do not think I did generalize like that. I said so(that
his writings were trustworthy) when discussing that particular
subject. That is the travels of the Heruli descriped by
Procopius.
I just do not find it necessary to state it every time when
discussing that subject that I am talking about that particular
subject and nothing else.

However, I would
> turn this around and ask why would Procopius care to tell us a fair
> and accurate account of the history of the Heruls if he held such a
> low opion of them? In my view this makes it very unlikely that
> Procopius would have taken the trouble to get first hand reports
from
> Herulic mercenaries or traders. He hated the Heruls and he could
not
> even restrain himself from hurling the worst of abuse at them in
his
> writing. Yet, those scholars who want to believe in Procopius
simply
> ignore this, because it would cast serious doubts on his overall
> credibility.
>
> The foremost expert on Procopius, A. Cameron writes about this:
>
> "Most scholars naturally not wishing to forego the data, recognise
the
> ethnographic cliches, yet persist in supposing that Procopius had
> access to good information from chatty barbarians hes is supposed
> have met while in the Byzantine army. But a few examples show how
> tricky the problem actuall is,...."
>

> Then she goes on to explain that Procopius used all sorts of
> stereotypes, mixed with ethnographic and geographic information
from
> ancient writers and supplemented with the product of his own
fantasy
> and hatred.

           Einar; One listmember(I think on Germanic-L) stated that
A. Cameron did not agree with Goffart on Procopius.
A. Cameron uses strong words if she states so; "and supplemented with
the product of his own fantasy and hatred."

Cameron states that for Procopius, barbarians had to be
> used by the empire in its wars thus anihilating one group of
barbarian
> with the other, or alternatively they had to be dispatched to the
end
> of the world. I.e. ultima Thule or Scandia, which according to
ancient
> geographers was the most disgusting place not fit for humans to
live
> on. Thus, in Procopius' eyes Thule was just fine for the animal-
like
> Heruls.

  Einar; It would be nice if you would make a distinction between
what A. Cameron is stating and then when you are using your own words.

And maybe tell me from where A. Cameron´s above statements are(books-
pages).
It might be nice to read those statements in context.

I find it interesting if she states; "was the most disgusting place
not fit for humans to live on".
And the statement; "Thus, in Procopius eyes Thule was just fine for
the animal-like Heruls".

I am not sure here. Was this statement(the last one) made by;

  a. A. Cameron?
  b. Procopius?
  c. Are you making this statement?
  d. Someone else?