[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Tue Dec 4 09:44:35 UTC 2001

>I cannot defend Goffarts view, as it is not my own. In my
>understanding Goffart tried to  explained Jordanes' and Cassiodorus'
>desire to promote an integration of the Goths into mediteranean world.
> Goffart said that Jordanes was keen to show that the Goths had no
>were to go, but to stay in Italy. Thus, Jordanes explained that
>Thule/Scandza was so inhositable that no one in his right mind would
>want to go their. Therefore Goffart contrasted this intention of
>Jordanes' with the report by Procopius who stated that barbarians
>could easily travel to the end of the earth without any danger or
>difficulty.

>We got this further
>> repetition of our old discussions because of a misunderstanding, but
>> please explain the motive and earlier sources behind VI, xv 6-15.
>> Tore provided us with a part of the text.
>>

>I have my Procopius volumes at home in Germany unfortunately.
>

>cheers,
>Dirk

Dirk,
Don't you trust me qouting Procopius.
I have three books of Procoupius in Loeb Clasical library which covers
Procopius books I-VI.
I think this edition is acceptable.
On top of this there is the Greek version on the left pages.
Tore

See What You've Been Missing!
Amazing Wireless Video Camera.
Click here