[gothic-l] Heruls and Archaeology

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Tue Dec 4 14:53:00 UTC 2001

>While this is an interesting example of a migration that can only be
>identified by its archaeological evidence, it seems to be informative
>for the indications that we would have to expect if Heruls had
>migrated to Scandinavia. Thus, one would need cultural characteristics
>that can be linked directly to the East Germanic groups in Moravia. I
>particular should archaeological evidence reflect the arrival of new
>customs like burial practices. Pohl has also emphasised the widespread
>use of artificial skull deformations among graves attributed to
>Heruls.
>
>I have tried to find archaeological reports about Sweden covering the
>period and areas in question. One such report seemed to explain the
>appearance of the Vendel culture around Uppsala with the exploitation
>of iron mining. Somewhat older authors like Terjal (1970s) and Werner
>(1950s), who are mainly concerned with the archaeology of the
>Attila-period. make no mention of East Germanic cultures in
>Scandinavia. However, there could be more up-to-date research and it
>might be interesting to pose the question of whether or not anEast
>Germanic culture has entered Sweden around 500AD.
>
>cheers,
>
>Dirk

Dirk,
Apparentlyg you haven't read my contributions. I even offered you a copy of
my book about the earlier history of the Baltic.
http://gotland.luma.com/2000%20Jahre.html

There are big changes taking place in the Lake Mälar area about or just
after 500.
This can only be attributed to the fact that a new ruling class has arrived
at that time.
We have no written sources that says that it is the Heruls. However if one
combines all know evedences it is hard not to accept that it could be the
Heruls mentioned by Procopius.
Tore

See What You've Been Missing!
Amazing Wireless Video Camera.