[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls-Goffart-J.Svennung-midnight sun-

Einar Birgisson einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 4 19:58:16 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Einar Birgisson" <einarbirg at y...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> > --- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> > >

> > >For they said that the sun during those forty
> > days
> > > does not indeed set just as has been stated, but is visible to
> the
> > people
> > > there at one time toward the east, and again toward the west.
> > Whenever,
> > > therefore,on its return,it reaches the same place on the
horizon
> > where they
> > > had previously been accustomed to see it rise, they reckon in
> this
> > way that
> > > one day and night have passed. When, however, the time of the
> nights
> > > arrives, they always take note of the courses of the moon and
> stars
> > and
> > > thus reckon the measure of the days....
> > >

> > Jordanes account of the mid-night sun (see below) reads very
> > similarly.

      Einar; Hæ Dirk.

   No,it does not. These descriptions are not similar at all. On the
contrary. These are very different descriptions.
 I was just reading Procopiu´s descriptions in Book III,VI.xv about
the midnight sun.
The only similarity is that they both say 40 days. There is no other
similarity. That is obvious.

Bless,bless, Einar.

> > Jordanes, Getica (19) "...Now in the island of Scandza, whereof I
> > speak, there dwell many and divers nations, though Ptolemaeus
> mentions
> > the names of but seven of them. There the honey-making swarms of
> bees
> > are nowhere to be found on account of the exceeding great cold.
In
> the
> > northern part of the island the race of the Adogit live, who are
> said
> > to have continual light in midsummer for forty days and nights,
and
> > who likewise have no clear light in the winter season for the
same
> > number of days and nights. (20) By reason of this alternation of
> > sorrow and joy they are like no other race in their sufferings
and
> > blessings. And why? Because during the longer days they see the
sun
> > returning to the east along the rim of the horizon, but on the
> shorter
> > days it is not thus seen. The sun shows itself differently
because
> it
> > is passing through the southern signs, and whereas to us the sun
> seem
> > to rise from below, it seems to go around them along the edge of
> the
> > earth."

See What You've Been Missing!
Amazing Wireless Video Camera.