[gothic-l] Re: Heruls and Archaeology

troels_brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Wed Dec 5 23:54:31 UTC 2001

Bertil

Thank you. As you can se in my previous mail I have used your
information.

A year ago I totally disagreed with you regarding Blekinge, and I
still do regarding some of your arguments below. However the
archaeological remains indicate in my opinion an Eastgermanic
presence in Scania/Blekinge in the 5th century, which might be due to
Heruls. Soesdala is an example, but I am also willing to accept
Vaerend. If Jordanes mentioned an event from the 5th or 6th century,
these were probably the Heruls expelled by the Danes. These are
earlier than the Heruls of Procopius, but the Heruls of Procopius may
have heard about the possibilities from their kinsmen in Scandinavia
when they started their travel. I still believe that the maingroup
found a place north of Gautoi.

Troels

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Troels,
>
> Thank you for your valuable contributions to a discussion
> that is full of irrelevancy in some cases. An important factor
> to be considered when discussing the relation between the
> Eruli and Scandinavia is no doubt the relation of Procppius
> of a characteristic custom of the Eruli (Bell. Goth. II, 14). When
> aged people became decripit, they themselves claimed the right to
> be killed. Relatives placed the victim on a high pile of
> firewood, and he was executed by dagger. Later the
> pile was set on fire.
>
> Such a custom existed in Smaaland Province (Vaerend district).
> There it was the local custom to kill aged people by means
> of a club. The killing of the aged is also known from many other
> parts of Gautland. One custom was to throw oneself down from
> a high rock (aetternistapi), 'the family rock' (see Gautrek's Saga).
> This custom also existed in South Jutland (a steep cliff, the so-
called
> Endrupskov Aftaegt). I think this type of custom is one of the most
clear
> ways of connecting the Eruli with Scandinavia.
>
> There has also been a few articles on the Eruli language being
> reflected in the Blekinge dialect (see bibliographic note under-
> neath).
>
> A few additional words on the Erulic names:
>
> Alvith = 'All-wood', 'sanctuary-wood' (?)
> Fara = the element -far is Burgundian, Lombard, or Anglian, but
> above all East Danish.
>
> Fulkaris = Old High German Folch-heri (?). Note the Danish
> geographical name Fulcarslef on the island of Falster.
>
> Hariso = occurs on a clasp found at Himlingøje on the
> Danish island of Zealand. Note Old Norse hersir = 'sheriff'.
>
> (H)aruth = compare Jutlandic people name Harudes and
> Norwegian Hordhar. The original Erulic form seems to be
>
> (H)aordos (see Procopius, who uses the version Aordos three times).
>
> (H)rodvulf = 'honour-wolf' (similar names exist in Denmark and
Norway).
> The popularity of the name Rudolph in Germany might go back to the
> high status of this Erulic personal name. The element 'hrodh' of
early
> kings and priests in Norway, Denmark, and in East Anglian and
Jutish
> dynasties.
>
> The Eruli probably settled in the province of Blekinge, mainly on
the Lister
> Peninsula. Basis for that assumption has been several runestones
found
> in the area: Stentoften, Gummarp, Istaby, and Sölvesborg.
Especially
> the Stentoften stone contains an inscription that has been
interpreted
> as relating to immigrants:
>
> "The settlers,
> the newcomers
> gave Hathuwolf gifts,
> poured riches over Hariwolf."
>
> On the Gummarp stone Hathuvolf is also mentioned
> and the Istaby stone contains in addition to Hathuwolf
> and Hariwolf also Haeruvolf. So in fact we are probably
> dealing with names of three Erulic kings on the Lister
> Peninsula.
>
> Naturally there is speculation of a connection between Hathuvolf,
> Harivolf and the well-known name of the Erulian King Hrodvulf
> (Rodolfus or Rodulfus), the rex Herulorum mentioned by both
> Procopius in History of the Wars, Chapter 14:11-21 and Paulus
> Diaconus in Historia Langobardorum, Chapter 20. According
> to Procopius Hrodvulf was killed 505 A.D.
>
> The Lister Peninsula on the border between Blekinge and
> Scania is regarded as a natural choice for immigrants to
> settle. It is strategically situated for trading and sailing and
> its hinterland Värend was suitable for agriculture. The
> peninsula is close both to the rich Scania, to Blekinge and
> the island of Bornholm.
>
> Bibliographic notes
>
> Jareborg, Nils, "Det heruliska arvet: Till frågan om Blekingemålens
> hemlighet." (35 års utredande: en vänbok till Erland Aspelin. 1996
> DUS 1996:1, s. 167-183.)
>
> Jareborg, Nils, "Gamla och nya heruler." (Blekingska Nationen
> 1697-1997. Utg. av Johan Svensson, 1997, s. 83-89.)
>
> Nils Jareborg, born 1938, is Professor of Criminal Law
> at Uppsala University and since 2001 Corresponding
> Fellow of the British Academy.
>
> Erulically
>
> Bertil
>

> > We do not know the characteristics of the Heruls and until now I
have
> > not found any archaeologist investigating that problem related to
> > Scandinavia. Most of the Scandinavian scholars covering that
period
> > have analyzed the connections to Western Europe (Franks, Lombards
and
> > Alamans) but very seldom the connections to the former
Czeckoslovakia.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!