[gothic-l] Re: Heruls and Archaeology

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Dec 6 08:44:39 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:

> --- faltin2001 <dirk at s...> wrote:
>  Do you know which tribes are seen as the
> > carriers of the Western
> > Chernyakhovsk and Sintana de Mures cultures in the
> > late 4th century?
> >
> > cheers,
> > Dirk
>
> Hello Dirk,
> Soviet and Ukrainian archaeologists have demonstrated
> the possibility of distinguishing sub-groups within
> Cherniakhiv, based on a variety of converging
> indicators: settlement types (esp. house types),

Hello George,

that it interesting, I thought that acutual settlements have been
found only very rarely.

> burial rites (Chernyakhiv was comprehensively
> bi-ritual [inhumation/cremation] but there are many
> different kinds of cremation and inhumation rituals),

This is exactly right. This bi-ritualism is also observable in the
Niemberger and Grossbadegaster Gruppe in middle Germany. Have you
heard anything about this custom of placing the dead on their face in
the grave and other 'unusual' positions.

> jewellery, et sim. Without going into great details,
> one interesting conclusion was reached: the Slavic
> culture which emerges there in the post-Attila period
> has no close genetic links to earlier Chernyakhiv
> sites which were plausibly identified as
> Gotho-Gepidic, Sarmato-Alanic, Scytho-Sarmatian, and
> Daco-Getic, only to Slavic sites, and to Slavic and
> Baltic cultures further north. The populations which
> trekked out in the wake of the Hunnic onslaught were
> thus predominantly Gothic,Alanic,Scythian, and Dacian.
> I would have to look at the article you mentioned to
> see if there is information there which might
> correlate with Soviet and Ukrainian findings and allow
> us to hypothesize about the early "tribal" composition
> of the Chernyakhiv migrants to Germany.

Schmidt provides drawings of graves and grave goods. As archaeologist
he tends to avoid historical ethnic names, but only suggests that the
main carrier of these cultures (West Chernyakovsk and Sintana de
Mures) were East-Germanic people. His time-frame is the last quarter
of the 4th century. He stated that their movement to middle Germany
can be traced via a number of important burial sites in Silesia, but
he does not give a more deliminated area of 'origin'.

cheers

Stop Smoking Now
Nicotrol will help
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2vN8tD/_pSDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM