[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls-Goffart-J.Svennung-midnight sun-

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Dec 6 09:34:37 UTC 2001

>He does not say a word about his source. There is no indication that
>he spoke to Heruls from Scandinavia. Firstly, given his low opinion of
>Heruls, he as a member of the Roman senatorial elite would likely not
>want to be seen mingling with barbarians like Heruls. Secondly, since
>he focused quite a lot on Heruls he might have mentioned them by their
> tribal name if he had spoken to them.

Dirk,
It is obvious you don't read when I quote from Procopius.
On Dec 1st I quoted from Procopius in VI.XV.8-13 where it clearly states
that he has spoken with those people who come from that island.
Further, this is in the context when he speaks about the Heruls.
Tore

>Ok, that maybe your opinion. If you read Cameron carefully, you will
>find that she interprets this very differently. I go with her
>interpretation.
>
>cheers,
>Dirk

Quit now for Great