[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls-Goffart-J.Svennung-midnight sun-

einarbirg einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 6 14:23:04 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
>.
> >
> >     Einar; This is one of your misunderstandings. I said ; I do
not
> > think he believed....
> > And; I think.....
> > At least I am not making claims like Goffart who claims to know
what
> > every individual Goth knew and knew not. And claiming knowing
what
> > everybody else knew too.
>

> Einar,
>
> you cannot seriously believe that Goffart would be such a fool to
> proclaim that he knows what every individual Goth knew or did not
> know. Once you reached this conclusion from reading his book, you
> should have made a plausibility check and ask yourself: am I
> mis-understanding something or is this Harvard Professor completely
> incompetent;-)
>
> I could already see from your comment on a passage from page 95 of
> Goffart's book, that you have seriously mis-interpreted him.
>

>    Einar; Hæ, Dirk.
 Thanks for your response.

   I do not think I did misunderstand him.  If I did so,why have you
not corrected me and showed how I mis-interpreted him?

I will go to the library on my way home and read it again. I will let
you know tomorrow. That is if the book is now available at the
library.

But the sentence is such; page 93.
The broken bridge ,symbolizing collective amnesia, helped to explain
why no Goth or anyone else had ever heard of the Scandzan homeland
before.
As far as I remember he made this statement without any reservations.
So what did I misunderstand?

> > > Of course not, because they knew the same geographical sources.
> >
> >   Einar; Do you have any evidence to support this claim?
> >
> > Apart from that then their descriptions are very much
different.

> > The similarities are not there. They both say 40 days. Apart from
> > that there is no similarity.
> >
> > And I do not think that you have any idea, if they used the same
> > sources in these case. Who says they did?
>

> Why always this frontal attack?
> A good analysis of the geographical sources available and used by
6th
> century authors is provided by Rolf Hachmann  in 'Die Goten und
> Skandinavien'. The argument is based on philological comparisons
and
> rather complicated.

   Einar; This frontal attack is not a right understanding.I do not
understand why you say this.

 This is interesting info. Are these authors claiming that Jordanes
and Procopius used the same sources when descriping the midnight sun.?

Is it not better that if you know this source to inform us about what
they have to say(touching on the subject of discussion here)? Instead
of every one of us following this discussion running to the nearest
libraries to take a look?

I do not see the similarities in these descriptions. But maybe Rolf
Hachman does? (apart from the 40 days)

> > > Once again, they used the same sources - no coincidence they
had
> > the
> > > same data.
> >
> >   Einar; You do not have any idea if they used the same source or
> > not. Their descriptions are not similar at all. The only
similarity
> > is that they both say; 40
days.

> See Hachmann, as stated above.

  Einar; But,Dirk. I do not see anything! You just mention that he
made a analysis of the sources that 6th century historians
used.Nothing else? What about his conclusions then? (regarding the
subject that we have been discussing).
Does he compare Jordanes and Procopius writings? Does he compare
their writings about the midnight sun? And if so. His conclusions?

> In general, there is no need for abrasiveness here. We can both be
> wrong or right.

   Einar; I do agree with you .But I really do not think I am beeing
abrasive. If you feel so,then I am sorry. But all of us should try
not beeing to sensitive to critic. Me,you and many others.

   Bless,bless, Einar.

Quit now for Great
American Smokeout
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0vN8tD/9pSDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM