[gothic-l] Heruls and Archaeology-Etymologi-Connection:Heruli-Skaldship

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Dec 6 19:18:49 UTC 2001

Einar,

Glad you found the info of value. It is fascinating
that modern Icelandic has the same word. But
the original is not Erulic, as far as I understand.
In modern Swedish the word is aettestupa. The word
was possibly constructed in the 17th century and has
a connection to Smaaland. Stupa means 'steep
place' and stup is a common Swedish name related
to the verb stupa 'fall down from exhaustion'.

On Alvith, that is just one possibility I mentioned, so
your alternatives might well be more likely. The same goes
for Hariso where many other meanings come to light.
On Hordar we can go back to Iordanes' Aroch = *(h)aruthi,
who possibly lived in Hordaland on the Stavanger Fiord.

On Hrordwulf you have Germanic hrod which means
fame, glory, honour, in my opinion a most likely
connection.

Erulically

Bertil

Thanks for a very interesting information.

You mention here the word; aetternisstapi. That word is the same in
modern Icelandic; ætternisstapi. And is very easily understandable.

>From the Icelandic Etymological Wordbook(I.E.W)
Actually ´ætt´ does not mean ´family´. It means;
´kyn,frændlið,ættbálkur´. Kyn means; kin,kindred,extraction.
Frændlið means; your relatives in general. Ættbálkur means;
clan,tribe.
In gothic; ´aihts´ means something you own(that is your property) and
in Old Irish; ´icht´ meaning; tribe,clan.

This ´erni´ has no meaning. It is a suffix. Very commonly used in
Icelandic. Like; bróðerni,faðerni etc.

´stapi´ means many things. Like; cliff,rock(usually flat on the
top),small mountain(flat on the top). Very much used in place names
in Iceland.
In Old High German; ´stuof(f)a´.

Why not ´alvitur´?? It means; the wise man,the
knowledgeable person,the person who knows everything. Well, it means
the same in modern Icelandic.
I think it was one of the names used for Óðinn.That is one of his
names.

I think that ´hersir´ means; ´höfðingji´(not sheriff). That
is; chief,headman  of a tribe,clan etc,chieftain.
Same as; *harisja-; that is the Herulic name ´Hariso´. A woman´s name
in Old Norse is; ´Hariso´

A related word is; ´hersing´ meaning, ´group,many people´ Somekind of
a army, seems to me. Not used today but I understand it.

´herjan´ is a wolfsname. (according to E.A.Kock 1933). Likely from
´herja´ and ´her´. ´her´ means; army,group of figthers.
´Herjan´ is one of the names used for Óðinn. Comes from
´her´,<*harjanar, that is ´þjóðann,þjóð´ and is a word used for
descriping the person ruling a army,group of figthers.

I have this from the Icelandic Etymological Wordbook.

The name ´(H)aordos´ is the Icelandic name ´Hörður´ that is
very commonly used today. A man´s name.
>From I.E.W.; Could be from Gotish ´hardus´ but is more likely
connected to ´Hörðar´ . As an example they take here a Old Swedish
rune inscription ´Haruþs´(man´s name).

And ´Hörðar´ are the people of ´Hörðaland,Hordaland´ in Norway. The
origin of the word is not known. Could be, like in Old English
´harað,hared´ which means ´forest´ . Could be from Old Irish;
´caur,cur´ meaning ´hero´. The origin is debated.

> (H)rodvulf = 'honour-wolf' (similar names exist in Denmark and
Norway).

  Einar: Lot´s of names in Iceland have this ´hróður´ in a name.
Like; Hróðmar,Hrólfur,Hróðmundur and Hrólfdís(woman´s name).
The word ´Rudolf´ is two words; ´hróður´and ´wulf´ .
In Old High German; ´Hrodulf,Hruodolf´. Of course put together from
the words; ´Hroth´ and ´wolf´.(from Old High German).That is put
together from; ´hróður´and ´úlfur´(Icelandic).
The Icelandic name ´Hrólfur´ is the same word as ´Hruodwulf,Hrodulf´
(from Old High German) from ´hróður´ and ´úlfur´. The name
´Hrólfur´means; ´famous wolf´

I do not agree that ´hróður´ means ´honor´. And that is not the
meaning in modern Icelandic.
According to I.E.W then ´hróður´ means;
´frægð,orðstír,kveðskapur,kvæði´. Frægð is; fame,glory. Orðstír
means; fame,reputation,celebrity and more.  Kveðskapur means;
Skaldship,poetry. Kvæði means;poem,verse,song.

In gothic ´hroþeigs´. Meaning ´sigursæll,frægur´. Sigursæll means
that he wins many battles. Frægur means; famous.
In Old Sax.´hroð´ meaning ´fame,glory´.

So here you have evidence that some Herulic names were connected to
poetry and Skaldship. Is that not very good! I find it good at least.

And the Icelandic word ´hróðugur´ is connected to the Gotish word
´hroþeigs´ which means ´sigursæll´ (see above)

Promise to Quit
Nicotrol will help
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5vN8tD/AqSDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM