[gothic-l] Re: Heruls and Archaeology-Etymologi-Connection:Heruli-Skaldship

einarbirg einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 8 10:49:57 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Einar,
>
> Well, in that case, I have no objection.
>
> Concerning the Gautrek Saga it is a Westgoeta saga
> and was published in 1664 by Olof Verelius, a Swedish historian.
> Gautrek was a Vaestergoetland king, father of the hero
> Rolf Gautreksson. There must in my opinion also be
> a connection between Gautrek - Gaut - Gautland.
> The Hrolfssaga Gautrekssonar is an Icelandic continuation
> from the 14th century, so the Gautrek Saga must be older
> than the 14th century, but I couldn't say how old.

  Einar, Hæ Bertil.   Thanks for your very interesting info. I will
later try to find out when this word ´ætternisstapi´ turned up in
Ice.literature.

> But in my opinion aettestupa has its origin in Gautrek's
> saga and the word might have entered Icelandic from
> the Vaestgoeta language.

> Concerning Hrod = honour, glory, fame I think
> the Swedish word 'aera' could mean different
> things in English.

  Einar; ´aera´ or ´æra´ . ´æra´ means honor in Icelandic at least.
Related to Gothic ´aistan´ meaning ´virða´ which means; to respect.

> Think you are right concerning the connection of the
> Eruli in Scandinavia to Skaldship.

 Einar; I will in two letters today on the Germanic-L come with
supporting evidence/arguments for that hypothesis.

 Bless, Einar.

> Took a look at Ludwig Ruebekeil's  _Suebica - Voelker-
> namen und Ethnos_ (1992). He wrote concerning the
> Eruli (my translation into English):
>
> "The Erulic group in the south did not only keep a feeling
> of origin but - and that is important - their ethnical connection
> to the north. As the ethnic center no doubt can be found in
> the north, there is a lack of a creation of a new kingdom as
> there is no legitimate base, as long as a representative
> of the ethnic origin does not give it legitimacy." (p. 117)
>
> Ruebekeil also compares with the Vikings and the Varjagi.
> In the case of the Vikings they were called Vikings without
> necessarily identifying their exact origin. A Viking could
> be Swedish, Danish or Norwegian. In the case of the Varjagi
> or the Rus no exact identification of the homeland has been
> made. According to Ruebekeil "die voelkerwanderungs-
> zeitlichen Heruler sind die Vorlaeufer der Wikinger
> in linearer Filiation". Thus Ruebekeil is identifying the Eruli
> as a sociological term, not an ethnological one. On the other
> hand he is above arguing for ethnicity. The Eruli only for
> a short period in the southeastern home stepped out of their
> sociorole and turned into an ethnos. This view has been expressed
> also in Swedish literature recently, but I cannot agree with this.
> The Eruli were most likely a people or tribe originating
> in Denmark, to which they could not return as they had been
> expelled by the Danes. Thus returning to Scandinavia they choose
> to settle near the Gautoi (the Goths who had remained in Gautland/
> Goetaland).
>
> Erulically
>
> Bertil

Stop Smoking Now