[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls-Goffart-J.Svennung-midnight sun-

troels_brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Tue Dec 11 01:42:43 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "troels_brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:
> You cannot seriously assume that he was speaking of 'returning
Heruls'
> when he wrote about people from the island of Thule coming to
> Constantinopel.

Dirk,

Actually this whole chapter of Gothic Wars was dedicated the
consequences of those "returning Heruls".

> BTW, I got two replies from Swedish archaeologists whom I contacted
> directly. One of them worked at the royal tombs at Uppsala, but
both
> of them completely reject the idea of East Germans (let alone
Heruls)
> having anything to do with Sweden. In fact, one of them calls this
> 'resilient myths' that has absolutely no foundation in archaeology.

I already made my comments to such claims in MSG 5162.

Troels

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!