[gothic-l] The Eruli, Gothic Bibleverses and Runes

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Dec 13 14:34:22 UTC 2001

Tore,

Thank you for your recommendation of the link
underneath. I will take a look.

Meanwhile I think it is important to compare
the Roek Runestone's poetic parts, the Stentoften
Runestone on Listerland and some Gothic passages
to show similarities. Of course Goths and Eruli
were culturally close.

Let me start with a translation of Stentoften:

The settlers,
the newcomers
gave Hathuwolf riches,
showered Hariwolf with wealth

Nybyggarna,
bykomlingarna
gav Hathuwolf aering,
oeveroeste Hariwolf med rikedom.

The above runetext is the only poetic text
in Sweden on a runestone beside the poetic lines
on the Roek Runestone.

What I would then like to bring up are examples
from Gothic bible manuscripts starting with
Romans Chapter 12,1:

Saa foermanar jag nu eder, mina broeder,
vid Guds barmhaertighet,
att frambaera edra kroppar till ett levande,
heligt och Gud vaelbehagligt offer.

Bidja nu izwis brothrjus
thairh bleithein Guths
usgiban leka izwara
saud qiwana weihana
waila galeikaidana Gutha

These are the same type of sense lines (sv. meningsrader)
as we can experience on the Roek and Stentoften runestones.

Also Romans 12, 20

Om min ovaen aer hungrig,
saa giv honom att aeta,
om han aer toerstig,
saa giv honom att dricka;
ty om du saa goer,
samlar du gloedande kol paa hans huvud.

Jabai gredo fijand theinana
mat gif imma
ith jabai thaursjai
dragkei ina
thata auk taujands
haurja funins
rikis
ana haubith is.

If we compare to Stentoften there is a comparable
type of sc. sense lines.

The technique in Theodorics kingdom in northern
Italy can no doubt be compared to the art of the
runemaster, who was responsible for the Stentoften
inscription.

Erulically-gothically

Bertil

> I found this link on the web http://home9.swipnet.se/~w-93783/index.html
>
> This is a wellknown Norwegian linguist that says
> In recent years, however, the enigma of the ancient Old Futhark
> inscriptions has to a large extent been solved. It has been conclusively
> proved that all of the most ancient Old Futhark inscriptions in the world
> are written in Semitic language. It has also been proved that they are
> intimately associated with Semitic fertility cult. Consequently this also
> applies for the ancient Old Futhark inscriptions of Blekinge, southeast
> Sweden.

Unlimited PC-PC calling at Crystal Voice! - Only $1/Mo.
Download your free 30 day trial. Click here.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gb1xVB/GxbDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM