[gothic-l] Re: Lister Runestones, Ostrogothic Verse and Nordic Naming Tradition

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Sat Dec 15 07:12:56 UTC 2001

Anders,
I recommend that you read Sven B.F. Jansson Runinskrifter i Sverige ISBN
91-20-0445-7
His arguments over the development of the language is quite convincing.
Tore

>Hi Bertil,
>--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
>> Tore,
>>
>> The Tjurkoe brakteat is from around 450 AD. The texts
>> on Stentoften and other runestones from Lister in
>> Blekinge Province are as well in ancient Nordic.
>>
>> The runestones are not as late as 600 - 650 AD. But they
>> are more probably from "urnordiska" rather than
>> "fornnordiska" and the dating should be moved back
>> to the beginning of the 6th century AD. The five
>> Blekinge inscriptions are likely from the first decades
>> after the arrival of the Eruli and the 600-750 AD dating
>> is the possible latest period they were inscribed. The
>> timeframe would be 500 to 650 AD, with 500 the oldest
>> and 650 the latest.
>
>>>From Your message I sense that You read Ivar Lindqvist, as the
>datings an the translations seem to match with the ones You give.
>
>Ok, fine with me, but to say that the mystery of the stones is
>settled with Ivar Lindqvists solution, I believe is to oversimplify
>the question. You know as well as I that there has come numerous
>attempts to interpret the stones after Lindquist's. To mention one I
>think I remember Lillemor Santesson being mentioned by Per Larson on
>Örjans page interprets the first lines: With nine rams, with nine
>stallions...
>
>However, I agree with You that it seems to be quite hard to date the
>inscriptions. I've seen figures ranging from 500 to 8th century In
>this forum and on other places (e.g on the information table in situ
>in Björketorp it says around 700, (which I don't regard as more
>reliable than any other dating only by this fact)).
>
>So a question to Dirk, if I may make it in this message is: How can
>You be so sure that it's from the 7th or 8th cenuries?
>
>Personally I'm quite unsure and I think it for that matter could be
>older than from 500 or from the 6th or 7th centuries. It would appear
>to depend on ones bias for interpreting the whole situation (all of
>the Blekine stones, their language and the people hewing them) Ivar
>Lindquist clearly has set his mind on a Herulic interpretation then
>it's 'Herulic'  language , returning heruls, and the dating is around
>512.
>Since all these theories seem to depend on Prokopius, and as I've
>read in the discussions here and on Germanic-l and on European
>Archaeology that the reliability of Procopius is in doubt, I am stil
>not convinced by the theories about the returning Heruls by Lindquist
>and some of You people on these lists. I am (just starting)
>considering it but I'm far from certain that it is the truth
>

>> The close relation between the Stentoften verse and the
>> Gothic bible verses (the sense lines)
>
>Where is this shown Bertil? Somehow I doubt this.
>

> point in my opinion
>> to a relation between both that runestone and the
>> Gummarp and Istaby runestones and the recently settled
> [...]

Call any Phone in the World from your PC with CrystalVoice
-LOW rates world-wide - $0.039/min in U.S.
FREE trial. Click here.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ib1xVB/IxbDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM