[gothic-l] Re: Ingemar- compare this to Your Ring-name map

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Tue Dec 18 09:33:40 UTC 2001

>> Anders,
>> What is the age of these runes?
>> According to my information the Westgermanic runes are from after
>500.
>> There are very few from 3-5th centuries.
>> Has anybody got some dates?
>> Tore
>According to this chapter:
>http://www.ub.rug.nl/eldoc/dis/arts/j.h.looijenga/c7.pdf
>they are from 200-700, but as You say most are from between 500 and
>700 also according to her.
>Anders

Anders,
Thanks for this information.

I quote:
"The Continental inscriptions are also known as the South-Germanic Runic
Corpus. Epigraphical runic writing on the Continent is recorded from circa
200-700 although its runic character is disputed, the oldest item might be
the Meldorf fibula (first half first century, found in Schleswig-Hostein).
This brooch shows an inscription that can be interpreted as Roman: IDIN
The host of inscriptions date from circa 500-700, well within the
Merovingian period.

6. Summary and Conclusions
The Continental Corpus consists of 65 runic objects."

What is the problem? It clearly states that these runes are from ca 500-700
as i.e. Fritz Askeberg has stated in his book. Unfortunately that gifted
scholar died prematurely.

It is also correct that in this paper is included objects which runic
character which is disputed. They are probably Roman artefacts.

These runic similar artefacts were earlier on this list presented as proof
that the runic alfabet originated from West Germanic area.  I can't agree
with that as the origin of the writing on these artefacts is disputed and
they have not been identified as runes from the 24 letters futark.

On the other hand all the runes in that area from ca 500-700 the
Continental Corpus that consists of 65 runic objects is said to be the
older futark.

Tore

Unlimited PC-PC calling at Crystal Voice! - Only $1/Mo.
Download your free 30 day trial. Click here.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gb1xVB/GxbDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM