[gothic-l] Re: The Eruli and the Stentoften Rune Inscription

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Dec 19 14:00:00 UTC 2001

>--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
>> Bertil,
>> I can buy that.
>> What matters most to me is that we place various occasions in the
>correct
>> century.
>> I want to compare apples with apples not with anything else.
>>
>> I got furious when the tourist guides in Visby talked about the
>fantastic
>> buildings, build by the German Hanse, dated to the 13th century.
>> The German Hanse was only founded in 1358. Almost all anchient
>buildings in
>> Visby are built before the German Hanse. As far as I understand
>most of the
>> tourist  guides know better now.
>> Tore
>

>Tore,
>
>I am afraid this is completely wrong. The origin of the Hanse goes
>back to the 11th century when certain privileges were awarded to
>merchants of Cologne, Tiel and Bremen. In 1161, the 'Genossenschaft
>der Gotlandfahrer' (the union of the seafarers to Gotland)is founded.
>In about 1180 the Hanse-contor of Novgorod is opened. In 1266/67 the
>Hanse is mentioned in a document. I don't know were you got your date
>1358 from, but it is completely wrong as founding date of the Hanse.
>By 1350 the Hanse had already reached its height of power. About half
>of the population of Visby were Germans at that time.
>

>Have a look at this chronicle of the hanse:
>
>http://hanza.gdansk.gda.pl/kronika_n.html
>

>Sorry this is certainly off-list, but required a correction.
>
>cheers,
>Dirk

Sorry Dirk,

Now you are out on deep water.
The Hanseatic league was formed in 1358 and had its zenit in 1370. The 15th
century is  the time for the Deutsche Hanse.

See:
http://gotland.luma.com/Hanse.html

You are referring to the old German phantasies where they projected back
the greatness of Lübeck in the 15th century. A comparison is to talk about
the European Union in the 19th and first half of the 20th century.

Three years ago I participated in  a seminar in Lübeck about the Deutsche
Hanse where also the authors of "Die Hanse Lebenswirklichkeit und Mythos",
Volker Henn and Rainer Postel participated.
This matter was discussed and there is no question. There is no Hanseatic
league before 1358.
It was problem in Brügge that forced Lübeck to seek help from other trading
cities mainly Visby.
This resulted in the formation of the Hanseatic League in what we later
call "die zweite Hansetag" in 1358.

The peace treaty of Artlenburg between Heinrich der Löwe representing
Sachsen and Liknatte representing the repuplic of Gotland was in 1161.
>From that time traders from Sachsen were allowed to sail under Gotlandic
flag and have an office in Visby.
The Gotlanders at the same time got confirmed their old privileges in
Sachsen. Gotland and Visby were the leading trade nation in the Baltic.

If you want more information we can move to Germanic

As far as I understand "Hanse" is an old Gothic word.

Tore

Need new boots for winter? Looking for a perfect gift for your shoe loving friends?
Zappos.com is the perfect fit for all your shoe needs!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ltdUpD/QrSDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM