[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Dec 20 09:00:14 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Adding to personal names and the rune inscription
> of Stentoften it is also interesting to follow the
> trace of treasures and gold from the Roman empire
> to Denmark including the island of Bornholm, Scania,
> Blekinge, Kalmar Province, the Islands of Oeland
> and Gotland and Uppland Province (Ivarl Lindquist,
> _Galdrar_ and Olof R. Janse, _Le travail de l'or
> en Sude a l'epoque Mervingienne_).
>
> It was during the reign of Anastasius that part of the Eruli
> people migrated back to Scandinavia.  Flavius Anastasius
> I governed Byzantium from 491 - 518 AD. The solidi
> of the time of Anastasius I were the latest of these coins
> reaching Scandinavia. After the arrival between 512 and
> 515 AD of the Eruli in Scandinavia, the no solidi arrived
> (except for some later, see underneath).
>
> The route of the solidi could be the route of the Eruli.
>
> Island of Funen     2 solidi
> Bornholm               8 solidi
> Scania                   8 solidi
> Blekinge                1 solidus
> Kalmar Province   1 solidus
>
> A number of solidi have been found also on the island
> of Gotland but together with coins from the reign of
> Justinianus I (527-565), so therefore the Gotlandic
> coins may have arrived later.
>
> Erulically/Gothically
>
> Bertil

The argument in general seems to be a valid one, however, a few
problems remain. Firstly,  by the same argument one could contruct an
Ostrogothic migration to Germany. A large number of Ostrogothic
tremisses have been found in the Klepsau cemetary, and a hoard of
Ostrogothic silver siliquae have been found at Mengen, with many
stray finds in between, indicating a migratory path via Bavaria to
the Rhine. There was of course no migration of Ostrogoths to the
Rhine and the finds cannot be used to demonstrate such a migration.
The example shows that even apparently much better find evidence do
not necessitate a migration.

There are a few serious problems with the finds of Anastasius' solidi
in Scandinavia as proof of Herulic migrations, though. Firstly, we
hear from Procopius that the Heruli were completely defeated. He even
reports about hunger and poverty in the aftermaths of the defeat. So
why would they carry gold denominations if they were so poor? And why
would the victorious Langobards allow them to to so?

Also, all gold denominations found in Scandinavia are from the
Constantinopel mints - without a single execption. Since the Heruls
are supposed to have come from Moravia, one would expect coins from
western mints like Sirmium, but especially from Ravenna and Rome, as
they used to be allied with the Ostrogoths.

cheers,

http://us.click.yahoo.com/IgTaHA/ZQdDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM