[gothic-l] Re: An Argument for the Eruli Being a Gothic People

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Dec 20 13:55:00 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> After the contribution underneath I think
> it would be of value to try to decide if the
> Eruli is a Gothic people. Undoubtedly Prokopius
> designated them as such. He did not include them
> though among the most important Gothic peoples.
>
> Other writers clearly classed the Eruli with
> the Goths. See Scriptores Historiae
> Augustae. Jordanes for instance regarded
> the Gepids as closely related to the Goths.
>
> Based on these grounds I would suggest that
> we can discuss the following peoples on the
> Gothic-L:
>
> Goti
> Ostrogoti
> Visigoti
> Eruli
> Gepidi
>
> More doubtful is
> Alani
> Rugi
> Skiri
>
> although Prokopius sometimes include
> them among the Gothic peoples. The Alani
> are of course a steppe people but the Rugi
> and Skiri might well be regarded as Gothic
> peoples.
>
> It would be interesting to know the views on the
> list for regarding the above mentioned peoples
> as "Gothic" and therefore legitimate subjects
> on the list. After all the lack of discussion lately
> on the Goti (for a period) ought not to be a reason
> for excluding a debate on the Eruli. For myself I
> am trying to connect in my contributions to the
> Goti and Gothic texts, the Gautoi/Goti in Goetaland
> and so forth plus the cultural closeness of the
> Eruli and the Goti.
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil

The fact that Procopius called the Heruls a Gothic people tells us
nothing about their ethnic/cultural origins. For example, the Goths
and Heruls were most commonly called Skythians at that time, which
reflected geographical and historical considerations rather than
linguistic/ethnic considerations.

I think an exclusive list of which tribes can be discussed on this
list and which ones should be excluded is not necessary. In fact it
can be detrimental. In my view any tribe can be discussed as long as
it is in the context of, and in relation to Gothic history.

The history of some tribes is more closely connected to that of the
Goths than others, leading naturally to more legitimate discussion.
As for the Heruls, their fate was closely linked to that of the
Ostrogoths, which should naturally lead to some legitimate discussion
of this tribe.

Dirk

http://us.click.yahoo.com/IgTaHA/ZQdDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM