[gothic-l] Re: Runic Influences

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Thu Feb 1 05:00:43 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
[quoting Dirk]

> >what do you mean ' a **new** Royal family coming from outside to
> >rule the Sutton Hoo area'? I was in the British Museum last week
> >to look a the Sutton Hoo artefacts. The British Museum
> >explanations attribute the burial to a king Raedwald (with some
> >certainty). This Raedwald belonged to a long line of kings in that
> >area which go back almost to the first emergence of Anglo-Saxons
> >in Britain according to a genealogical chart next to the
> >exhibition. There was no indication that Raedwald was a newcomer.

> That is interesting. I didn't have the information that Raedwald is
>related to the first emergence of Anglo-Saxons in Britain.
> Is this a new Genealogical chart?

The chart would be based on the East Anglian genealogy, which traces
Raedwald's line through Wuffa to Woden.  You can find a version of
this genealogy here:
http://www.wuffings.co.uk/Wuffingas/WuffingPage.html

The theory that this 'Wuffingas' dynasty was associated with the
Ynglings in Sweden, or was perhaps even a sub-branch of the Swedish
dynasty, is based on the similarities between some Sutton Hoo
artefacts and those from Valsgarde and Vendel.  This is far from
certain however, and these similarities can be explained in other
ways.  It's more likely that the Wuffingas were early English
settlers as Dirk suggests, though the early sections of the genealogy
are clearly legendary (ie the parts with Woden and 'Kaiser').
Cheers,

Tim O'Neill

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details