[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Coins: Was Runic Influences

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Feb 2 09:42:15 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> >--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> >> Hello Dirk,
> >> It is fantastic with internet. Here we can share all your
knowledge.
> >Of
> >> course there was no minting in Hungary. But as you suggest it was
> >payments
> >> made, in this case probably to the Heruls living in presentday
> >Hungary at
> >> that time.
> >

> >Hello Tore,
> >
> >actually I would prefere to see the coin finds in Scandinavia as
the
> >result of trade. This is the most common explanation and it is what
> >the analysis by authors like Rigold and Grierson suggests.
> >

> >When these people after the defeat about 505 moved to
> >> Scandinavia they brought these coins with them.
> >

> >In fact all of the registered late Roman coin hoards in Scandinavia
> > seem to include coins of Justinus I and even Jusininian I, who
ruled
> >from 518AD onwards and could not have been among hoards brought to
> >these places by people who left the Hungarian area around 505AD. A
> >pre-505AD hoard would largely consist of coins of Leo I, and Zeno
> >perhaps the odd Basiliscus and  Marcian, and of course the earlier
> >types of Anastasius.
> >
> >What evidence do you have these these coins were brought to
> >Scandinavia by Heruls?
> >

> Hello Dirk,
> There is a big difference between the solidis found in Öland and the
> Solidis found in Gotland.
> The solidis from Öland are before Anastasius. Whilst the Gotlandic
Solidis
> are mainly from Anstasus and later.
>
> Cheers Tore

Hello Tore,

thanks for the information.  If I am not mistaken, Rigold lists a
hoard from Oeland that included post-Anastasius coins, but there may
of course be other unrelated finds of which he had no knowledge. Do
you have more information about the hoard composition from these
Oeland finds? Which emperors were included? which denominations?

thanks again

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details