[gothic-l] Re: Ostrogoths in Italy, Britain or China (or on the moon?)

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Feb 6 12:51:00 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2001, at 10:51, dirk at s... wrote:
>

> > Hello Andreas,
> >
> > It seems to be quite a step to completely discredit an author like
> > Prof. Goffart. The mathematician in me is always seeking logic and
> > plausibility, which Goffart's interpretation offers masterly and
which
> > many others lack entirely. However, you may me right, and Goffart
is
> > wrong, but could you point me to some alternative publications
> > (perferably your own ) on the subject, which are better than
Goffart's
> > book?
> >
> > cheers
> > Dirk
> >
> Hello Dirk,
> it is not my intention to discredit Walter Goffart, just to throw in
> word of caution. His book makes good reading, it is an astonishing
> experiment in applying the literary theories of Hayden White (who
> analysed historians of the nineteenth century) and Northrop Frye
> (who worked on the Bible and Shakespeare) on selected writers of
> the early middle ages. But he sometimes oversteps the boundaries
> of interpretation and he tends to discredit the evidence of his
> sources, as in his treatment of Procopius criticised by Averil
> Cameron. He certainly is right in treating all books of Jordanes as
> literary whole, but I do not share his doubt about Jordanes as a
> historical person. As for alternatives, the sad thing is that there
are
> only older ones or partial ones.
> To name some of them:
>
> Max Manitius, Geschichte der lateinischen Literatur des
> Mittelalters (München 1931, old, but solid)
>
> Pierre Courcelle, Histoire litteraire des grands invasions
> germaniques (3rd ed. Paris 1964)
>
> Historiographie im frühen Mittelalter I, ed. Anton Scharer und Georg
> Scheibelreiter (Wien 1994)
>
> Averil Cameron, Procopius and the sixth century (London 1985)
>
> Berthold Rubin, Prokopios von Kaisareia. In: PW 23 (1957) 599-671
>
> Pierre Riché, Education et culture dans l'Occident barbare, 6e-8e
> siècles (Paris 1964)
>
> to sum up, read Walter Goffart and enjoy his language and style,
> for which he is justly renowned, but check his conclusions against
> the sources and against other authors (and of course sometimes
> he is right and always original).
> Regards
>         Andreas

Hello Andreas,

many thanks for the information, that is extremely helpful, I am sure
also for others on the list. I shall try to get some of the listed
literature.

best regards

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details