[gothic-l] Re: Ostrogoths in Italy, Britain or China (or on the moon?)

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Tue Feb 6 17:09:19 UTC 2001

>Hej Tore
>
>--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
>> The common opinion is that the Heruls probably lived somewhere in
>southern
>> Denmark - Northern Germany
>
>Which source does this common opinion use? Do you talk about Western
>Heruls?

As far as I understand from the earlier Roman sources there are no Western
or Eastern Heruls just Heruls.

>> (I can't find that Procopius claims that they
>> originated from Thule)
>
>He did not - and he did not claim Southern Denmark or Northern
>Germany. Maybe Jordanes claimed Scania or Sealand.
>
>> and when the Goths moved from the Vistula area to
>> the Black Sea area the Heruls followed in their steps. After that
>various
>> Roman sources tell about the Heruls together with or dominated by
>the Goths.
>> The Heruls as well as part of the Goths (Ostrogoths) were subdued
>by the
>> Huns. When Attila died on his wedding night and the Hun empire
>dissolved
>> the Heruls formed their own kingdom in present day Hungary. When
>they we
>> beaten by the Lombards about 505 Prokopius says that part of the
>tribe
>> moved to where they had heard there were good lands, Ultima Thule,
>the
>> farthest away lands known from the Roman Empire. (Iceland and
>Greenland
>> were not inhabited at that time.)
>
>I think we agree in the excerpt from your book below, if the headline
>is the title of your book and not a result proved by the following
>description.
>
>Troels

Yes, the headline is the title of my book.

Tore

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details