[gothic-l] Digest Number 210 Herules

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Wed Feb 7 20:48:09 UTC 2001

Hello Troels!

You read both right and wrong. It is a fact the Harudes also lived in
the Norwegian Hordaland and hence the former people there must be driven
away. I never said the Harudes were Danes - I said they lived at 200 AD
in the area later called Denmark and which later was controlled by
Danes. Danes are not mentioned as I know before Jordanes and Procopius.
They could have used the name Danes meaning Harudes. It is stated the
Danes are from Scandinavia - the peninsula - but we have no idea
wherefrom. The Herules, if they were Hords, came from Scandinavia,they
also had relatives still living in Scandinavia, and even their presumed
conquerors, the Haruds, did in the time of Jordanes and Procopius live
in Hordaland - Scandinavia and they also controlled Jutland and Fyn at
least to the 8th or 9th century meaning they could be considered to be
among the "Danes". This is of course first after the Jutes emigrated.
Before that the Harudes were stuck up north in Jutland and that is why
they needed space in Norway. Otto Hoefler, von Friesen and other make a
connection between the Harudes and Ivarr Viðfamði.Primarily the Harudes
are from Denmark but from very early time also from Norway-Scandinavia.
The defeated army was evidently Norwegian (Herulian?) and that early it
could well be the Hords engaging the enemy Harudes in their own
territory in an attempt of resisting the take over of their land.It
failed. As I wrote before this is just a hunch or brain-storm but
sometimes it takes such to break used patterns. I do not say it is like
this, but it is not impossible with the small amount of knowledge we
have about the origin of Danes and Heruls.
I will not try to defend this to the extreme, or rather not at all. I
just found it worth remarking to stir the kettle.

Have a nice time
Ingemar

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details