[gothic-l] Re:Heruls

hakan36 at SPRAY.SE hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Thu Feb 8 16:54:31 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., sig <sigmund at a...> wrote:

Hi Sig, Tore, Troels, Ingemar, Andreas, Keth, Tim and all of you!
I think that the Illerup finds could be interpreted as a
danish/norwegian/gaut effort to push out west-germanic influence out
of Scandinavia and a part of the danish expansion. I don´t say that
this is the way it is, but Hygelacs battle COULD be rerouted to
Jutland. West-germanics are mentioned as frisians in Beowulf and when
they were pushed out of the small danish islands, they could have
become known as *eyrilaR(small islanders?) and later erilaR. It could
be the biggest 300 c Illerup battle that is mentioned as
Hygelacs/Hugleikurs last battle. As the population grew there was a
need for land in Scandinavia. And a attack could have been a joint
effort between SE Norway, the gauts in W Sweden and danes. That could
also explain the Illerup-inscription GAUT-(don´t remember it exactly).

The reconstruction of Eketorp is said to be of the 500c, but I suspect
that it was rebuilt into a roman-style fortress in the beginning of
the 600c. To avoid a herulic debate, which is not welcomed by the est-
ablished researchers, I think that it was comfortable to date it to
the 500c. This is of course speculation from my side. The beginning of
the 600c was also a period of general unrest in the whole S Scand-
inavian-Baltic sea region.

PS Sorry once again about the crackpot theory about the
Jarsberg-inscription and others connection to semitic fertility cults.
It was the only picture I could find on the net. DS

Håkan Liljeberg

> Jeff!!
>
> hakan36 at s... wrote:
>
> > http://home9.swipnet.se/~w-93783/jarsberg/jarsberg.htm
>
> Check out the interpretations and numerology on that page!
>

> Sig

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details