[gothic-l] Attila

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Sun Feb 11 02:01:28 UTC 2001

Le Bateman wrote:

>  Did anyone see the latest version of Attila. The Roman Commander played by
> Powers Booth, called Thuidaraiks the Gothic King Theoderic which is the Old
> English name for him.

Actually the OE name for him is 'Theodric'.  What was he
doing in the movie anyway? - he was barely born when Attila
was around.  Or do you mean Theodoric Balthing, the
Visigothic king?

> Also I doubt if Attila King of the Huns would have
> dressed in Silk Rament like the Chinese.

I can't think of any direct evidence of the Huns wearing
*Chinese* clothes, but given their links to central Asia
silk robes are actually quite probable.

> Were the Huns a Germanic people or Asiatic like the
> Mongols.

Attila had many Germanics at his court and most of the
Huns' subject tribes were Germanic or Iranian.  Some
Huns had Germanic names as well (like 'Attila', though
this *may* be a compound of a Turkic name with a Gothic
ending), but the people who formed the core of 'the
Huns' were probaly Turko-Mongolian.

Attila has been getting some discussion on Germanic-L
and soc.history.medieval lately, so the (I gather)
rather bad TV movie has had some good effect.
Cheers,

Tim O'Neill

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details