[gothic-l] Attila

Friþunanþs Ximeneiks jimenezf at ALPHA.MONTCLAIR.EDU
Sun Feb 11 17:36:58 UTC 2001

Though this subject is somewhat tenuous in light of things Gothic. It
should be "briefly" mentioned that it is well attested the huns wore
thick silk garments; they did so underneath a leather cuirass. The fact
that their cavalry was well known for surviving otherwise mortal wounds
is attributed to the fact that: 1). When arrows pierced the cuirass the
momentum of the arrow was lessened, only allowing shallow penetration.
2). Thereafter, if the arrow penetrated through the cuirass, the thick
silken garment would usually not rip; (silk is one of the strongest
filaments known) further absorbing the momentum. - In the event a
projectile did penetrate the skin the silken garment would oftentimes be
pulled into the flesh allowing the projectile to be pulled out of the
shallow wound (by pulling on the silk garment) without much physical
damage or subsequent infection. The latter innovation gave the Huns a
great advantage in warfare and may be one of the elements that allowed
them to be so successful in sweeping through Europe.

                     www.

--
ÿØÿà

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups