[gothic-l] Re: Gothonic dialects

czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Wed Feb 21 15:15:23 UTC 2001

As far as I know, there were two main dialects: ostrogothic and
visigothic, but there could evolve later also some other dialects: the
dialect of the Gothi Minores in Moesia (from visigothic), and Crimean
Gothic (from ostrogothic).
It is also possible that the language spoken by Gepids was also a
dialect of Gothic.
On the other hand, it seems that the East-Germanic idioms at that
time were not very different, having rather a dialect status then a
separate language status. From this point of view, idioms such as
Vandalic, Skirian, Herul and perhaps also Burgundian could be only
"Gothic dialects". But having in view our lack of knowledge of these
idioms, al this is only presumption.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Le Bateman" <LeBateman at N...> wrote:
>  The  Goths what different dialects did they speak were they just
divided
> into Ostagoths and Visigoths what of those from the North or South
or
> Central Europe. Were the Eruli included with the Ostrogoths or
Visigoths.
> Did they form loose confederations like their Saxon cousins. Unlike
the Huns
> who united under one leader they seem to fight among themselves. Did
they
> have distinctive patterns of pottery or jewelry and weapons.
> Le
>

> Shop online without a credit card
> http://www.rocketcash.com
> RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary