[gothic-l] Beowolf--the Goth?

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Fri Jan 12 11:39:31 UTC 2001

Dear listmembers,

 Gothic-L seems to have slipped into a state of post-Christmas
lethargia? Or did her baby Germanic-L devour her? Many members are
for the moment more active on that list but I miss the Gothic
stuff.

 I would like to call into action the private investigator in
y'all and try to see the Gothic connection here, if any:

 The year is around 520 and the scene an island at the mouth of
Rhine, occupied by the Attuarii. An enemy force under the
leadership of one Chlochilaicus (later Huiglacus, Higlacus,
Hygelac) attacked unsuccessfully and the leader was killed.
He was of giant stature and his bones were left on the island and
were shown to travellers from afar. The mystery, as we all know,
is why he would be called, first (in Historia Francorum 500+)
leader of the Danes and later (in a Frankish history book from
around 700+) "rex Getarum".

 A popular view not least among nationalists in "Thule-land" is
that these Getarum just have to be identified with the
South-central Swedish tribes of Gauthai (first mentioned by the
Greek geographer Ptolemaios in the 3rd century, by th Byzantine
Procopios in the middle of the 6th century and in latin by his
contemporary Jordanes).

 Now, what suggestions as to any (even remotest possible) "Gothic"
or "Getic" embedding of this story? From the scene at the estuary
of the Rhine; from where could issue a throng of warriors under
Gothic/Gethic leadership around 520?

 Sekimuntr/Seigmund/